What is Elemental Analysis?
Do you have a product or raw material that requires testing to identify if a particular element is present, or to what degree it is present? Do you have a good understanding of what elemental analysis is? Do you need to identify a contract analytical testing laboratory to perform this type of testing for you?
Elemental analysis is:
The testing of a sample which is homogenous (representative of the source characteristics)
- The determination of a specific element, such as carbon, lead, chlorine or most elements identified on The Periodic Table
- The quantification of levels found as percent, parts per million (ppm), or parts per billion (ppb)
- The utilization of the most appropriate instrumentation/method depending on the sample matrix.
Elemental analyses may be performed as qualitative or quantitative tests. Qualitative analysis identifies the composition of a sample, but it does not offer measurement of the elements present. Quantitative analysis measures the concentration of an identified element present in a sample.
The need for
elemental analysis spans business and industry, academia, government, health-care and other enterprises world-wide. From a pharmaceutical research & development project to evidence gathered by authorities at a bomb site, the need for elemental analysis can and does enter into the equation of day to day business activities.
Real life examples using the science of elemental analysis include:
Testing for the presence of the toxic element lead in various products that are used in everyday life; with recent specific emphasis on toys.
Testing for product impurities.
Testing for verification of structure of organic compounds in product.
Testing for active ingredients in various products.
Using the above examples as a snapshot of the vast array of sample matrices that may require testing, there are numerous methods available to attain the most accurate testing results:
- IC – Ion Chromatography
- ICP-MS – Inductively Coupled Plasma – Mass Spectroscopy
- ICP-OES – Inductively Coupled Plasma – Optical Emission Spectroscopy
- AA – Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- FLAA – Flame Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- GFAA – Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- CVAA – Cold Vapor Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
- Combustion Analysis
- CHN Analyzer, Nitrogen Analyzer, Sulfur Analyzer, and more
A market leader in providing elemental analysis is Galbraith Laboratories, Inc. Galbraith is an independent contract testing laboratory with over 57 years experience serving the analytical testing needs of industry, government, academia, medical, other laboratories, and private enterprises. Galbraith has amassed a depth and breadth of technical, regulatory and industry-specific expertise, backed by a progressive Quality Assurance Department and delivered with world-class customer service. Call Galbraith today to handle your testing needs.